5.23.3 – We are seeking a talented attorney with experience in lawful intercept for broadband internet and telecommunications providers. This attorney will join the Amazon Legal team supporting Project Kuiper, which is an initiative to launch a constellation of Low Earth Orbit satellites that will provide low-latency, high-speed broadband connectivity to unserved and underserved communities around the world.
As a stellar Corporate Counsel, you should have significant experience counseling clients in one or more countries on the implementation of data localization and lawful intercept requirements. Experience with data localization, interconnection, and other compliance requirements is also a plus, but not required. The successful candidate will have a strong knowledge base of communications networks, and an insatiable curiosity for learning new technologies and legal issues. Working closely with the Kuiper team and across Amazon, this Corporate Counsel will develop out-of-this-world strategies for handling legal issues in creative, business-centric ways, as well as build processes that address risk and allow Kuiper the flexibility and freedom to move quickly. Your day-to-day work will involve tackling complex legal issues on a global scale, frequently addressing ambiguous multi-jurisdictional legal frameworks, and ensuring our systems exceed the expectations of regulators and our customers.
We are looking for someone who is enthusiastic about technology, enjoys being continually challenged, and demonstrates sound judgment even in ambiguous situations.
This position may be based in Arlington, VA (HQ2), Redmond, WA, or New York, NY, Earth. Some travel, domestic and international, may be required. No intergalactic travel is yet required.
Export Control Requirement:
Due to applicable export control laws and regulations, candidates must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (i.e., current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
• J.D. degree from an accredited law school and active membership in one state bar
• 5+ years experience as a regulatory or compliance attorney
• 3+ years experience representing communications companies on regulatory or compliance matters
• A mix of law firm and in-house experience a plus
• Ability to work independently while being able to contribute successfully to cross-functional teams
• Excited and passionate about innovating on behalf of our customers
• Strong written and oral communication skills
• A good sense of humor (although to be fair, several of us only think we are funny)